Who We Are
Into our community came settlers more than 150 years ago. Following the early pattern, most of those settlers migrated into this section by waterways. Along the course of the Amite River, homes were built, families began to spread out, and with that began the construction of schools and churches - the never-absent symbol of mankind’s attempt to reach ever upward.
The Live Oak church took its name from the tree under which it was built, at a spot not more than a quarter of a mile from the church's present site. The Live Oak tree is as symbolic of Louisiana as the church cross is to all mankind.
We have no written record of our church in the pre-Civil War days, but it is said that, "Not only the house, but the benches were of split logs. On the south side of the building one log was cut out to give light to the writing desk.”
Our early log church was another casualty of the Civil War, being destroyed by fire; however, this did not destroy our church fathers' need of a place of worship. Eventually the church across the road was built and was in use until 1950. At that time the white church next door (currently the Thrift Shop) was built and used until our previous sanctuary was built in 1970. In February of 2009, due to the growth of our community and our church, we were able to meet our growing needs and move into our current sanctuary. We hope it will serve us for many years to come.